History of Halfmoon Bay Community Association
(Thanks to Gary Little for writing this historical overview)
The Welcome Beach Community Association was formed in the year 1947. The land on which the former Community Hall sits (at 8394 Redrooffs Road), was donated by Mr. David Fullerton and initially included the 179-acre watershed area above the Community Hall.
Title to the watershed area was transferred to the Sunshine Coast Regional District in 1977. A restrictive covenant on this property was set up in favour of the 8394 Redrooffs Road property stating that the property may be used …only for the purposes of a wilderness park and hiking trails provided that up to a maximum of two acres of the [park] may be used for the purposes of a reservoir or for purposes relating to the [SCRD’s] water system.
The Community Hall was originally built by members of the community in 1958 as a centennial project. (The Crown Colony of British Columbia was created in 1858 during the reign of Queen Victoria.)
The Community Hall has been renovated several times over the years, including a major expansion in 1971 (another centennial project — British Columbia joined the Dominion of Canada in 1871 as the 6th province). In 2006, a new metal roof was added. The colour selected? Red, of course.
In 2011, the Halfmoon Bay Community Hall property was sold to a local Halfmoon Bay resident. The Welcome Beach Community Association events continued at nearby Coopers Green.
In 2015, the Association changed its name to the Halfmoon Bay Community Association.
History of Halfmoon Bay by Mary Tinkley (Peninsula Times, January 26, 1972, pp. A1-2).
More Sunshine Sketches: A New Collection of Drawings and Stories About B.C.’s Beautiful Sunshine Coast by Terry Barker (2003). See the section titled A Senior Moment on pp. 27-29.
Crown Grant for District Lot 1326. This is the original May 6, 1904 Crown Grant of 177 acres to Ephraim Walker for $177. The former Community Hall is located on a portion of this land.
Crown Grant Plan for District Lot 1326. This is the plan included with the 1904 Crown Grant to Ephraim Walker.